About our program
Our graduates rate us as one of the best employers in Australia. We offer you support, mentorship and job security through our graduate program and beyond.Back to top
About our program
The DVA Graduate Development Program is based in Canberra and is a structured 11-month development program designed to give you exposure to the broad range of important work DVA undertakes, whilst propelling you into a successful career within the Australian Public Service.
You will work across multi-disciplinary teams to deliver a wide range of policy, program, coordination and strategy-based work to make a real difference to our clients. DVA is also in the midst of a Transformation program, which means we encourage you to use new research and data analytics to think of better ways of doing business. If you are innovative, flexible, and motivated to work in a challenging and rewarding team environment, DVA is the place for you!
DVA’s graduate program includes:
- Three business area rotations curated for each graduate’s individual career development pathway.
- A year-long major project undertaken alongside your graduate cohort with senior leader sponsorship.
- A dedicated team to help shape your development and career path, including a previous graduate ‘buddy’, senior executive staff, and carefully selected supervisors trained in graduate needs.
- Opportunities to shadow senior executive and front line veteran support officers to gain a holistic understanding of DVA’s business.
- A customised induction; including cultural awareness training, a tour of the Australian War Memorial, and exclusive access to hear from senior leaders.
- Participation in culture initiatives such as DVA’s Staff Reference Group and the Diversity & Inclusion Staff Network.
- Participation and the opportunity to lead Social Clubs – this entails opportunities to lead and run major social activities to benefit local charities, worthy celebratory or commemorative events, and your workplace culture. Such activities are also a way to hone your networking, teamwork, event management, and project management skills, and be visible and recognised by your colleagues and executive staff; and
- Internal training opportunities, including courses on writing and financial management for government, leadership, APS values, data literacy and stakeholder engagement.
After the graduate program
Once you have successfully completed the Graduate Development Program, you will be offered a permanent ongoing position with DVA. If you would like to further develop in your career after the graduate year, you are welcome to apply for short-term opportunities and promotions into other positions within DVA, and at any of the state offices around Australia.
Back to top