In the 2012–13 Budget, the Government made provision for implementing 96 of the 108 recommendations made in the February 2011 Review of Military Compensation Arrangements report. In addition, the Government addressed an observation in the report relating to eligibility for Special Rate Disability Pension when not in receipt of incapacity payments.
As of 30 June 2014, 70 recommendations had been implemented and a response made to the observation in the report. Significant changes included:
- improvements to the way in which permanent impairment payments are calculated
- improvements in compensation for dependants
- the provision of White Cards to SRCA clients.
The balance of the recommendations will be implemented over the next two to three years. Those recommendations relate to matters such as:
- a long-term study of the effectiveness of MRCA rehabilitation arrangements
- the adoption of a single appeal pathway for the MRCA
- the education of serving members and ex-service organisation representatives on the compensation schemes
- a review of incapacity payment provisions
- a review of the Special Rate Disability Pension.