How and when can DVA help me?

When can DVA help me as a current member of the ADF?

If you have been injured or have suffered an illness which you believe relates to your defence service, you should lodge a claim as close as possible to the time the injury or illness occurred. If liability is accepted, you may become eligible to receive benefits.

See factsheet:

What help can DVA give me as a current member of the ADF?

There are a range of benefits that are available if you have suffered a loss that is directly related to your accepted service injury or illness. Some of these benefits include:

  • permanent impairment payments
  • incapacity payments
  • household services
  • attendant care
  • aids and modifications
  • access to VVCS–Veterans' and Veterans' Families Counselling Service
  • access to the MRCA Education and Training Scheme.

See factsheets:

Do I have to be ill or injured as a result of overseas service to get assistance from DVA?

No. You may be entitled to receive benefits under the under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRCA) and the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) if you are injured during peacetime service.

How do I get help from DVA?

DVA has On Base Advisors located in or near the Defence Health Centre of over 35 ADF bases. An On Base Advisor can assist you with understanding possible entitlements and lodging a claim for DVA benefits and services.

On Base Advisory Service.

You can also contact DVA by phone 133 254 for metropolitan callers or 1800 555 254 for regional callers or email or visit a VAN office to speak to a DVA officer in person.

Does DVA provide compensation to all ill or injured serving members?

Compensation is only payable if certain criteria are met. Compensation entitlements are not automatic.

Does DVA provide Rehabilitation to all ill or injured serving members?

Rehabilitation for serving members is provided by the ADF Rehabilitation Program (ADFRP).

However, where DVA has accepted liability for an injury or illness, rehabilitation services such as the provision of household services, aids and modifications and attendant care, can be provided by DVA.

Is there any help for reserve members? 

Members of the ADF reserves are covered for compensation purposes in the event of injury or illness that occurred due to reserve service.

See factsheet: