For service providers
Living Longer Living Better aged care reforms and the veteran community
For information on the Living Longer Living Better aged care reforms, including the Veterans’ Supplement, Aged Care Workforce Supplement and other initiatives that directly impact on the veteran community please view the DVA Aged Care webpage.
Treatment Authority and Treatment Expectations under MRCA and SRCA
For eligible clients under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRCA) and the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) without a Repatriation Health Card, the payment of reasonable treatment costs is governed by a person’s Treatment Authority letter, Treatment Expectations for providers, and any requirements for gaining prior-approval for certain treatment types.
For more information about the role that providers play in managing treatment for these clients and requirements for treatment provision and invoicing DVA see:
Reduction in prior approval processes
In partnership with service providers, DVA is continuing to ensure access to high quality health care to the veteran community and has recently completed a review of treatment requiring prior approval.
The objective of this review was to further reduce the administrative burden on service providers. For further information on the reduction of some prior approval processes go to:
Booked Car Scheme
DVA released a Request for Tender (RFT) for the provision of taxi and hire car services as part of its Booked Car Scheme in June 2011. Following an extensive evaluation process, this tender has now been completed and successful taxi and hire car companies started providing transport services to eligible DVA clients on 1 March 2012.
For more information see the Booked Car Scheme page.
Providers are required to be registered with Medicare to provide allied mental health services to eligible DVA clients. Providers can inquire about registration by contacting Medicare on 1300 302 122. Currently contracted social workers who do not wish to register with Medicare can continue to claim for social work services from the DVA Social Workers Schedule of Fees.
- Telehealth (Word 46KB)
- Fees for the new Coordinated Veterans' Care Program effective 1 May 2011.
New items are available for Coordinated Veterans’ Care Program (CVC Program) payments. These are DVA only items and do not appear in the MBS Schedule. Payments are 100% of the listed fee.
- From 1 March 2011, The Department of Veterans’ Affairs will pay the Transition Care daily copayment on behalf of eligible former Prisoners of War and Victoria Cross recipients who are admitted to a Commonwealth/State Government funded transition care program.
To access this payment, providers of transition care services should:
- Seek prior approval from DVA.
- Be an approved provider under the Aged Care Act and be registered with either Medicare Australia or DVA.
- Comply with the conditions set down in the Aged Care Principles.
- Provide Transition Care within the Guidelines set by DoHA.
- For further information regarding registration and claiming, please contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs on 1300 550 457 (option3, option 3).
- Practice managers' circular is available
At Ease Professional – for health professionals treating patients with mental health issues arising from their military service. This website offers evidence-based treatment options, assessment and outcome tools for common military mental health conditions, online training programs and links to the latest research.
DVA welcomes your feedback. In the future we will continue to add further information to this area. If you have any ideas or suggestions how we could improve the service provider site please email us at:
Please do not use this link to send DVA personal information.
What's in the service providers section
This part of the website includes information about:
- community nursing
- dental and allied health
- doctors - LMOs, GPs and specialists
- rehabilitation appliances program (RAP)
- Veterans' Homecare (VHC)
- how to do business with DVA
- online resources
- partnering information
- veterans' health treatment cards
- veterans' special needs.
See a complete set of Factsheets about service providers.