Skip to Content

Becoming a DVA service provider

Register with the Department of Human Services

DVA service providers agree to treat DVA card-holders for a wide range of conditions through a payment arrangement which means the veteran does not pay for those services.

Since 2013, eligible veterans with a DVA Health Card, whether covered under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRCA), the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) or the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA), can access treatment.

To become a DVA service provider:

  • If you do not have a Medicare provider number, you must register through Department of Human Services (DHS) first, before you are able to provide DVA services:
  • If you do have a Medicare provider number, through DHS, as one of following providers, you are automatically registered to provide DVA services to provide health services to entitled persons:
    • chiropractor
    • clinical psychologist
    • dentist
    • dental specialist
    • dental prosthetist
    • diabetes educator
    • dietitian
    • exercise physiologist
    • footwear prescriber
    • general practitioner
    • medical specialist
    • occupational therapist (general or mental health)
    • optometrist or orthoptist
    • osteopath
    • physiotherapist
    • podiatrist
    • psychologist
    • social worker (mental health)
    • speech pathologist.

The registration process is different for the following providers:

  • Neuropsychologist
  • Social worker (general)
  • Optical dispenser
  • Orthotists
  • Lymphoedema providers.

More information can be found in the Notes for Allied Health Providers.

Contact DVA for more information.

Notes for providers

You must register with DVA directly before providing services to entitled persons. More information can be found in the following resources:

Complete a Recipient Created Tax Invoice (RCTI)

As a DVA service provider, you must be registered for GST and enter an RCTI agreement. This type of agreement allows tax invoices to be issued by DVA on behalf of your organisation (for example, to Medicare), and expedites payments to you.

An RCTI agreement is needed for each entity in your organisational structure that is registered for GST and supplies goods or services to DVA or to veterans and beneficiaries. If there are more than one of these entities, you should make 2 copies of the blank RCTI agreement for each entity that is registered separately for GST.

The RCTI Agreement should be signed by a person authorised to sign on behalf of the organisation and returned to:

Medicare Australia
GST Program
GPO Box 2956
Adelaide SA 5001

When the signed original is received, Medicare Australia, on DVA’s behalf, will sign and retain the agreement.

Provider regulations and conditions

All DVA providers must agree to accept the DVA fees and conditions consistent with DVA's Notes for providers and the DVA fee schedule. Importantly, this means that members of the veteran community will not be charged for treatment provided under DVA health care arrangements.

Provider enquiry phone numbers

View Contact DVA for provider enquiry phone numbers.

Health resources and training

DVA sites

  • At Ease includes clinical resources, best practice advice and up-to-date information about treating veterans with mental health issues.
  • The Right Mix includes tools to manage alcohol consumption and provide support; specifically through the AUDIT tool.

DVA publications

Average: 1.5 (42 votes)