On this page
- About South Australian MHPE
- News and events
- Volunteer training in South Australia
- Volunteer profile
- Who to contact
In South Australia there are currently 18 MHPE volunteers primarily located in the Adelaide Metropolitan region. We also have volunteers in the country areas of Yorke Peninsula, Barossa Valley, Fleurieu Peninsula and the Riverland. The current cohort consists of veterans of Vietnam, Korea, Malaya, East Timor, Peace Time Service and partners of veterans. South Australia has both women and men volunteers.
Margie Gutteridge, the DVA MHPE SA State Coordinator, VAN Community Support team members and Kathy Behrendt, the SA MHPE State Volunteer Representative work together to provide support and assistance to our volunteers.
The following MHPE activities and events are planned for 2015:
- Recall Training – 4th March – 10am – 3.00 pm. Veterans’ Health Week (VHW) Planning Session and Pitstop update for MHPE volunteers, DVA State Office, 199 Grenfell Street, Adelaide.
- Anzac Day MHPE Stand – 25 April – Torrens Parade Ground, Victoria Drive, Adelaide.
- Veterans’ Health Week (VHW) Information Session, 6th May 9.30 – 11.30 am – an information session for VHW event organisers and MHPE volunteers throughout South Australia. Venue to be advised.
- National Volunteers Week 11 – 17 May – Established in 1989, National Volunteers Week is the largest celebration of volunteers and volunteerism in Australia, and provides an opportunity to highlight the role and efforts of the MHPE volunteers in our veteran community. SA MHPE volunteers will be recognised for their years of service with the MHPE program during National Volunteers Week.
- Recall Training – 16-17 June. SA MHPE volunteers learn new skills and knowledge and have an opportunity to network at this two day training program. 2015 Recall Training theme is Mental Wellness.
- International Men’s Health Week – 15 – 21 June. Volunteers are encouraged to attend activities and promote the MHPE program throughout the week.
- Veterans’ Health Week (VHW), Saturday 10th to Sunday 18th October (inclusive). MHPE volunteers will be conducting events and promoting the MHPE program at events throughout the state during VHW.
MHPE volunteers in South Australia:
- provide peer-to-peer support to veterans to encourage men to look after their health
- deliver health presentations to ex-service and community organisations
- distribute health information to the veteran community
- promote the MHPE programme in their local areas
- host and assist with Veterans’ Health Week activities and International Men's Health Week events
- distribute the National MHPE magazine
- assist DVA staff to promote the MHPE programme.
The level of involvement and time is up to the individual, depending on their other commitments.
To discuss initial volunteer training in South Australia, please contact the DVA SA MHPE Coordinator. Based on potential interest from veterans in the outer southern metropolitan area and Fleurieu Pensinula, we’re planning MHPE Training for this region in 2015.
For further information visit the MHPE Volunteer Training page.
Each year volunteers attend recall training for skills development and updates on the National MHPE programme.
In South Australia recall training recall training will be held on 4 March and 16-17 June 2015.
If you would like to learn more about the MHPE programme and the volunteer role, you can attend recall training as an observer. Please contact the SA DVA MHPE Coordinator for for more information.
Kathy Behrendt, SA MHPE Volunteer Representative
As State Volunteer Representative, it is my responsibility to liaise with all other MHPE Volunteers in SA and assist them in any way I can. That may mean accompanying them to an Ex-Service Organisation where they have been invited to present a topic or just having a coffee with them or talking on the phone occasionally when they need to ‘chat’.
I have been involved with MHPE since its inception in SA and have been State Representative for three years. This is a role I love as I get to meet so many interesting people. I attend the annual MHPE national workshop with all other State/Territory Volunteer Representatives, which allows me to put South Australia’s touch to the programme and to take information back to our other volunteers.
I fill a number of roles in my local community along with my MHPE role, so find it necessary to remain physically and mentally fit. I completed an Active Ageing SA training course and have been running two exercise groups since 2005. The two exercise groups get-together for a fun, friendly annual competition that is held during Veterans’ Health Week.
For enquiries about the SA MHPE programme, contact Margie Gutteridge, DVA South Australia MHPE Coordinator:
Phone: (08) 8290 0375
If you would like to speak to a SA MHPE volunteer, contact the SA MHPE Volunteer Representative below:
SA MHPE Volunteer Representative
Phone: (08) 8837 7287