What is Men's Health Peer Education?
The Men’s Health Peer Education (MHPE) program raises awareness about men's health issues and encourages men to share responsibility for their own health and wellbeing. The program began in 1999 as a result of the Vietnam Veterans’ Health Study revealing a higher rate of health issues among Vietnam Veterans. The program operates across all Australian states and territories, through a network of trained volunteers working with the veteran and ex-service community.
Volunteers share health information in a range of ways:
- giving a talk on a health issue at an ex-service organisation meeting
- setting up or working with a ‘Men’s Shed’
- running a stand at a community expo, field day or health conference
- organising or supporting a Veterans’ Health Week and/or International Men’s Health Week event
- distributing the MHPE Magazine and other health resources
- chatting about health issues to a mate at a barbeque
- encouraging and supporting veterans to participate in DVA Health Promotion initiatives such as Pit Stop training, the Cooking for one or two program and 10,000 Steps Challenge
The Men's Health Peer Education website provides:
- MHPE Volunteer Resource Manual
- Online MHPE Magazine
- Health Quiz
- MHPE National Workshop 2017
- Contact details for obtaining more information
Men’s Health Peer Education Magazine
The MHPE Magazine is published twice a year. Each issue covers a topical health theme with articles contributed by health professionals, DVA staff and MHPE volunteers.
To help you manage your health and wellbeing we have also developed a quick health quiz and health information guide.
For specific information about Men’s Health Peer Education in your state or territory, please contact the relevant DVA MHPE Coordinator.
|Title||Location||Phone number||Email address|
|QLD DVA MHPE Coordinator||DVA Brisbane||07 3223 8715||MHPEQLD@dva.gov.au|
|WA DVA MHPE Coordinator||DVA Perth||08 9366 8359||MHPEWA@dva.gov.au|
|VIC DVA MHPE Coordinator||DVA Melbourne||03 9284 6682||MHPEVIC@dva.gov.au|
|NT DVA MHPE Coordinator||DVA Darwin||08 8935 1415||MHPENT@dva.gov.au|
|SA DVA MHPE Coordinator||DVA Adelaide||08 8290 0375||MHPESA@dva.gov.au|
|TAS DVA MHPE Coordinator||DVA Hobart||03 6221 6711||MHPETAS@dva.gov.au|
|NSW & ACT DVA MHPE Coordinator||DVA Sydney||02 9213 7661||MHPENSW@dva.gov.au|
DVA MHPE Coordinators can also be contacted by contacting DVA.
If contacting by mail, please send to:
MHPE State/Territory Coordinator
Department Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 9998
Brisbane QLD 4001
Acknowledgements and permissions
DVA undertakes regular reviews of the MHPE pages to ensure the accuracy of the health education information supplied. Any decision about personal health requirements should be taken in conjunction with professional medical advice.
DVA thanks Mr David Moles, Vietnam Veteran and Chairman of the Tasmanian pilot project for his help in setting up the national Men's Health Peer Education program. DVA is grateful to all health care providers and organisations that have assisted MHPE by providing health education material and expert advice.