Independent studies by Professor David Dunt
As part of its election commitment, the Australian Government committed to conduct a study to examine the broad issue of suicide in the ex-service community, including a number of specific cases of suicide over the past three years, to help identify the following:
- ex-service members who are at increased risk of self harm
- common contributing factors among ex-service members who have committed or attempted suicide
- the extent of suicide in the ex-service community
- lifestyle or other factors that may be contributing to suicide in the ex-service community
- recommended administrative reforms or initiatives to help combat suicide in the ex-service community.
The Government appointed Professor David Dunt to undertake the study. Professor Dunt is a public health specialist and epidemiologist with major interests in health program evaluation and health services research. He was also appointed to conduct the Review of Mental Health Care in the Australian Defence Force and Transition through Discharge (Defence website).
Prof. Dunt presented his study to the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs in February 2009. The Minister announced the Government’s response (PDF 149 KB) in May 2009.
Terms of reference
The terms of reference for the study were developed in consultation with the National Veterans’ Mental Health and Wellbeing Forum.