Skip to Content

Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP)


If you are a Gold or White Card holder (with assessed need due to an accepted disability), you can access aids or appliances to help you maintain independence in your home through the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP).

Aids or appliances prescribed through the programme can include:

  • continence products
  • mobility and functional support aids
  • Personal Response Systems
  • Home medical oxygen
  • diabetic supplies
  • Continuous Positive Airways Pressure (CPAP) supplies.

How to obtain an assessment for RAP aids or appliances

RAP appliances are available on the basis of an assessed clinical need made by an appropriately qualified health provider such as a:

  • general practitioner
  • occupational therapist
  • physiotherapist
  • speech pathologist (speech therapist).

Your Local Medical Officer (GP) can provide the necessary referral to an appropriate allied health professional who can assess your need for RAP aids and appliances. Your GP can also offer advice and make requests in writing to DVA.

Form D0904 DVA Request/Referral (PDF 135 KB)

Continence products

Your Local Medical Officer (GP) or a Continence Adviser can provide you with an assessment and prescription for continence products.

Prescriptions are renewed every 2 years to assess if different products are needed based on any change to your condition.

Ongoing supply of appropriate continence products can be arranged through one of DVA’s contracted suppliers:

Your Continence Supplier will advise you well in advance of the need for a new prescription. DVA recommends that you seek re supply when you have approximately 1 month of continence products remaining.

For further information about the DVA RAP programme and continence supply please call 133 254 (metro) or 1800 555 254 (country).

The Continence Foundation Helpline is a toll free assistance line that can offer support and can be contacted on 1800 330 066.

Home Modifications

In certain instances, DVA will fund home modifications for Gold or White Card holders (with assessed need due to an accepted disability) based upon their clinical need as assessed and prescribed by an appropriate health professional.

RAP assistance for veterans in aged care

Residential Aged Care Facilities (RACF) may be required to provide you with rehabilitation aids or equipment to meet your needs, depending on the level of care you are receiving, including:

  • bedding/mattresses/suitable and appropriate pressure relieving mattresses
  • equipment to aid mobility e.g. wheelchairs and walking frames
  • seating / arm chairs
  • shower chairs
  • oxygen therapy and equipment.

DVA may supply you with certain items which are required to be customised such as medical grade footwear. These items will need to be prescribed by a suitably qualified health professional.

If you are entering aged or supported care and already have DVA supplied RAP equipment, you may be able to take it with you. However it is important to discuss this with facility management before you enter.

Further Information

For further information about DVA’s RAP program please call 133 254 (metro) or 1800 555 254 (country).

Continence Foundation Helpline - 1800 330 066 - a toll free assistance line for support

My Aged Care website and phone line 1800 200 422 - has clear and reliable information on aged care services.

The Aged Care Complaints Scheme is a free service that examines complaints or concerns about Commonwealth-funded aged care services, including:

  • Residential Aged Care
  • Commonwealth funded Home and Community Care Services (excluding Western Australia and Victoria); or
  • Home Care Packages.

If you have a concern about the care you or someone else is receiving, complaints can be lodged online. Alternatively, you can contact the Aged Care Complaints Scheme on 1800 550 552.

If you have feedback or concerns about DVA Programmes or services, please visit the DVA complaints, compliments and feedback page for more information.

Average: 4 (15 votes)