Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions: Short-Term Restorative Care (STRC)

What is STRC?

STRC is an early intervention programme that aims to reverse and/or slow ‘functional decline’ in older people and improve wellbeing through the delivery of a time-limited (up to 56 paid days), goal-oriented, multi-disciplinary and coordinated range of services.  STRC services may be delivered in a home care setting, a residential care setting, or a combination of both.

STRC is ideal for people who are:

  • goal-oriented and have the desire to return to earlier or improved levels of independence; and
  • not currently receiving any Commonwealth aged care services in the form of residential care, Home Care Packages or any other type of flexible care (excluding the Commonwealth Home Support Program and DVA services).

How can I be assessed for STRC?

To be assessed for STRC, you will need to contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to register and be screened for aged care services. 

During the initial conversation, if the staff member thinks that STRC may be right for you, they will refer you to the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) for a comprehensive assessment of your care needs.

Can I access STRC if I am receiving DVA services?

Yes. Persons in receipt of the following DVA services are able to access STRC as long as there is no duplication of services:

  • Veterans’ Home Care (VHC)
  • Community Nursing (CN)
  • Rehabilitation Appliances Programme (RAP)
  • Attendant care
  • Household services
  • Home modifications
  • Counselling Services including the Open Arms - Veterans & Families Counselling
  • Coordinated Veterans’ Care (CVC)
  • Medical and Allied Health services

Note: For identified DVA clients, providers should check with the client, nominated representative or carer for the services a client may be accessing from DVA, and any existing care plans, to avoid duplication of services.

Can I access STRC if I am receiving Commonwealth Home Support Services (CHPS)?

Yes. People receiving Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) services may be eligible for STRC services. The STRC service provider is expected to liaise with the STRC recipient’s current supports (including CHSP providers where applicable) to ensure care is coordinated with existing support/services.

However, as outlined in the CHSP Programme Manual: ‘Commonwealth Home Support Programme services must not be provided to people who are already receiving other government-subsidised services that are similar to service types funded through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme’.  Should both STRC and CHSP services be accessed, it is expected that they would not be similar services, but rather, different and/or complementary services.

Am I eligible to have my basic daily fee for STRC paid by DVA?

DVA will only pay the STRC basic daily fee component (the client contribution) for former Prisoners of War (POW) and Victoria Cross recipients. 

All other members of the veteran community may be asked to pay the client contribution. 

This basic daily fee may be charged by the STRC provider and is set at a statutory maximum of:

  • 17.5% of the single basic age pension for STRC services provided in a home setting; and
  • 85% of the single basic aged pension for STRC provided in a residential care setting.

What do I need to do if I am approved for STRC and I am a former POW or VC recipient?

Should you be assessed and found eligible for STRC, you are encouraged to advise your STRC provider of your former POW status or VC recipient status.  Your STRC provider will then contact DVA to arrange for the payment of your STRC basic daily fee.

Where can I find further information?

Further information in relation to STRC can be found on the Department of Health’s My Aged Care website.

Average: 1.7 (3 votes)