Skip to Content

Factsheet MRC42 - Household Services


This Factsheet explains household services that may be available to you if you are eligible for compensation for household services under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA) or under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA).

Who is entitled to household services?

Household services are provided to members and former members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) who have incapacitating DRCA or MRCA accepted medical conditions which means they are unable to manage household tasks themselves.

Why are household services provided?

Household services are provided to minimise the impact of injury, disease and illness on your ability to manage and maintain your household.

What are household services?

Household services are those services which are reasonably required for the proper running and maintenance of your household and may include meal preparation, cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing, shopping, lawn mowing and gardening. Requests for any other similar services can also be considered.

Household Services can be provided on a long term basis if you have an ongoing need for assistance or can be provided for short term emergency support, for example when you are recovering from surgery.

Child care support can only be provided to address short term/crisis care, when usual child care arrangements are disrupted due to unexpected circumstances.

What types of services cannot be provided?

Home maintenance services, such as painting, decorating, repairs, plumbing and electrical work, cannot be provided. Other services, such as car cleaning, and packing and unpacking boxes as part of moving house, are not considered household services.

How do I seek assistance with household services?

Please complete DVA Form D9319 Claim for Household Services in conjunction with your treating doctor. Forms are available from your nearest DVA Office or the DVA Website.

Once the form is complete, please email it to  Alternatively, you can post it to the Household Services Team, GPO Box 9998, Brisbane Qld 4001.

If you require additional assistance, or would like further information before you submit a claim, please contact the Household Services team on 1800 555 254.

How are my reasonable requirements for household services determined?

In deciding whether you have a reasonable requirement for household services, a home assessment by a suitably qualified professional (most often an Occupational Therapist) is obtained.

When determining your reasonable requirements, the following issues are among those considered:

  • the extent to which you performed various household tasks before your injury was sustained (or a disease or illness became apparent) and the extent to which you are able to perform those tasks at the time your claim for household services is made;
  • the number of people in your household, their ages and their need for the household services;
  • the extent to which members of your household might reasonably be expected to perform necessary tasks for themselves and for you; and
  • the need to avoid substantial disruption to the employment or other activities of family members.

Household services can only be provided for periods when you actually require assistance. This means that if you are in hospital, or respite care, or away from home on holidays, you are not eligible to receive household services.

What if I have ongoing needs for household services?

The provision of household services is reviewed up to every five years, even when a medical condition is considered to be long-term or permanent. This is to ensure that you are receiving an appropriate level of service and that the type of assistance provided is suitable for your requirements.

You will be sent a renewal form DVA Form D9319 Claim for Household Services via email (or post if you do not have an email address) before your current renewal expires. Please complete this form with your treating doctor and when complete email it to  Alternatively, you can post it to the Household Services Team, GPO Box 9998, Brisbane Qld 4001.

Can I access household services outside of Australia?

You may still be eligible for household services if you reside outside of Australia. The same application and assessment processes apply, including providing documentation from your treating doctor and evidence about the size and type of the house and property to be maintained.

How much compensation can be paid for household services?

The amount of compensation payable for household services is capped by a statutory limit which is increased periodically in line with the Consumer Price Index.

For the maximum amount payable under the DRCA for household services, please see DVA Factsheet MRC43.

For the maximum amount payable under the MRCA for household services, please see DVA Factsheet MRC04.

How is compensation for household services paid?

Payment for household services is normally made by reimbursement to you. However, if you require long term care or if you are unable to meet the necessary costs before seeking reimbursement, arrangements may be made for the provider of the household services to invoice DVA directly.


If you are currently paying your service provider directly and claiming reimbursement through DVA, please send all claims for payment to Using this email address will ensure we receive all invoices, claims for payment and queries relating to household services accounts in a timely and organised manner.

In your email, please attach a copy of the invoice you have paid, along with your receipt proving payment has been made. If you have paid via direct bank transfer, a screen shot of the transfer is also acceptable as proof of payment. Alternatively, a copy of the invoice, which clearly has “PAID” written on it and is signed by the provider is also acceptable, but not preferable. In your email, please write in the subject line, your full name, your DVA number, and the Transaction Reference Number (TRN) that will be given to you after your initial claim.

Payment to Household Services Suppliers

A Household Services Supplier Information Sheet will accompany your determination. This information sheet can be passed on to any supplier you engage with to perform the approved household services and lists all necessary requirements for a supplier to invoice DVA.

Any queries relating to Household Services accounts can be sent to

For more information, please see the general copy of the Household Services Supplier Information Sheet.

It is important that you inform us if there is a change in your circumstances, e.g. you are going on holidays, or into hospital or respite care, so that we can ensure that the household services payments you receive are correct.

Can I receive household services if I am receiving domestic assistance through the Veterans' Home Care Program?

You are not able to access similar services from multiple sources. DVA will determine which source is most appropriate for you to access the household services you require. For further information about assistance through the Veterans’ Home Care Program, you should refer to DVA Factsheet HCS01 or contact DVA.

Who can provide household services?

DVA encourages the use of professionally qualified service providers who are equipped to deliver a high quality of service be it cleaning, cooking, gardening etc. As a general rule a partner, relative or friend cannot be paid to provide household services.

Who manages household service arrangements?

DVA is responsible for:

  • assessing and reviewing your requirement for household services;
  • determining the level of service that you can receive; and
  • making payments for household services.

If approval is given for you to receive household services you will be responsible for:

  • choosing a suitable service provider to deliver the services within the approval amount on your determination;
  • ensuring standards of services are maintained;
  • arranging suitable times for the services to be delivered;
  • ensuring that before a provider undertakes work in and around your home, the provider has current checks and clearances where appropriate including, public liability insurance, police checks, working with vulnerable people and working with children checks, where required; and
  • asking the supplier to forward their invoice to

There is an employer/employee relationship between you and the household service provider. There is no relationship between DVA and the household service provider.

If you need assistance to manage your household service arrangements, then your family or friends may support you in choosing a household service provider, ensuring that all issues for which you have responsibility are covered and making the necessary arrangements for you to receive the household services that you require.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets

Related Forms


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 1.5 (8 votes)
10 September 2019