Skip to Content

Factsheet HSV61 - DVA Health Card - Specific Conditions (White)


This Factsheet provides you with information on how to use your DVA Health Card –  Specific Conditions (White Card).

Sample photo of the DVA Health Card - For Specific Conditions (White).

Am I eligible for the White Card?

A White Card is issued to Australian veterans or mariners under the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA) with an accepted war or service-caused injury or disease.

You may be eligible for non-liability health care treatment, whether war caused or not, for the following conditions;

  • malignant cancer (neoplasia);
  • pulmonary tuberculosis;
  • any mental health condition;
  • substance use disorder; or
  • alcohol use disorder.

Please see Factsheet HSV109 Non-Liability Health Care for more information concerning non-liability health care treatment.

A White Card is issued to former members of the Australian Defence Force who have accepted conditions under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA) and ongoing treatment needs.

A White Card is also issued to ex-service personnel who are eligible for treatment under agreements between the Australian Government and New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and the United Kingdom for disabilities accepted as war-caused by their country of enlistment.

Note: Services available to these veterans may be different from those available to Australian veterans. Please refer to Factsheet HSV62 Commonwealth and Other Allied Veterans Living in Australia for more information on the services available.

A White Card may be issued to former members of the Australian Defence Force, current part-time Reservists, cadets and, in limited circumstances, to full-time members under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) who have a medical condition accepted as service related under the MRCA.

When do I use my White Card?

If the treatment you are seeking is related to your accepted war or service-caused injury or disease, or the treatment is for a specific condition as described above, you should present your White Card whenever you visit:

  • a doctor, medical specialist, dentist, pharmacist, dental prosthetist, optometrist or other health care professional who provides services under DVA arrangements and to whom you are referred for treatment; or
  • a hospital or day procedure facility.

What health care services can I access?

Holders of a White Card (the DVA Health Card – Specific Conditions) are only entitled to be treated at DVA’s expense including subsidised pharmaceuticals for their accepted service related disabilities or illnesses.

Factsheet HSV01 Health Services available to the Veteran Community provides a list of services available to DVA clients. For your specific conditions only, your White Card may allow you access to some of these services.

For more information about services available, visit your local VAN office or the Health care and support services page of the DVA website at

Are there other services I can access?

VVCS - Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service

A range of counselling services are available to veterans and their families from VVCS. For more information please refer to Factsheet VCS01 Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service (VVCS).

Veterans Home Care

Veterans' Home Care (VHC) is a DVA program designed to assist veterans and war widows/widowers (entitled persons) who wish to continue living independently in their own home and local community, but who need a small amount of practical help. Services include domestic assistance, personal care, respite care, and safety-related home and garden maintenance. Limited, short term social assistance may also be provided as part of the Coordinated Veterans’ Care (CVC) program. Please refer to Factsheet HCS01 About Veterans` Home Care for more information.

Community Nursing

Community nursing is the provision of clinical nursing and/or personal care services to eligible members of the veteran community. Community nursing services are provided in your own home, and can assist with medication, wound care, hygiene and helping with dressing. Community nursing services helps you to restore or maintain a maximum level of health and independence at home and helps to avoid early admittance to hospital or residential care.

If you have a DVA Health Card – specific conditions (White Card), DVA will fund community nursing services through DVA arrangements if they are required because of an accepted war or service caused injury or disease (accepted disabilities).

Please refer to Factsheet HSV16 Community Nursing Services for more information.

Can I use my White Card anywhere in Australia and overseas?

You can use your White Card anywhere in Australia, but not overseas. You must contact DVA before you travel overseas for information about arrangements for treatment overseas.

If you need treatment while travelling within Australia, your local health provider may be able to assist you with details of health providers who accept the White Card.

Are there restrictions?

There are limits that apply to some types of services available. For example, medical services are subject to the requirements of the Medicare Benefits Schedule. Some treatment requires prior approval from DVA. Your doctor or health care provider will arrange this for you.

Do I need to pay for treatment?

Generally no, you should not pay for any treatment received under DVA arrangements, but there are a few exceptions, such as for Veterans’ Home Care. If you are billed by your health care provider, do not pay the account and advise DVA immediately. DVA may not be able to reimburse the cost of the treatment.

Do I need to pay for my prescriptions?

Yes. You have to pay a patient contribution charge (co-payment) for each prescription. For detailed information on the amounts payable, please refer to Factsheet HSV92 Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (RPBS).

Do I have to get prior approval before receiving treatment?

Under DVA arrangements for White Card holders, there are a range of services requiring prior approval including some dental treatment. Your dentist is required to contact DVA prior to commencing any treatment.

Where prior approval is required for other services, your doctor or health care provider will arrange this for you.

Can I choose to be treated as a Medicare or private patient?

Yes, you can choose to be treated for your specific conditions as a Medicare or private patient. However, if you take this option, DVA will not pay for any services that have been paid in part or full by Medicare, private health insurance or a third party compensation benefit.

If you do choose to be treated for your specific conditions under Medicare, you may still receive, at DVA’s expense, additional health services that are not covered by Medicare.

Note: DVA will pay for health care services arranged in accordance with DVA requirements. DVA will not pay the difference between the Medicare refund and the cost of the treatment.

When does my White Card expire?

The expiry date is shown on the front of your White Card. You will receive a replacement card about one month before the expiry date. If you don’t receive your replacement card, ring DVA.

DVA will notify you and ask you to return the card if you are no longer eligible for it.

If you change your address, please contact DVA so your replacement card is sent to the correct address.

What do I do if my White Card is lost, stolen or damaged?

If your White Card is lost, stolen or damaged, you must contact DVA immediately so your card can be cancelled and a new White Card issued.

It may take up to two weeks for a new card to be issued. DVA will provide a letter of authority for this period if you need one, or your health provider may phone DVA for information of your eligibility and entitlements.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges

Related Factsheets


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 2.8 (8 votes)
12 October 2017