Skip to Content

Factsheet HSV22 - Hearing Services


This document provides information on how Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) clients can access hearing services.

What are hearing services?

DVA provides a range of hearing services to support members of the veteran community with hearing loss. Eligible DVA clients are provided assistance, advice and high-quality devices to better manage their hearing loss through the following programs:

  1. Hearing Services Program (HSP)
  2. DVA Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP)
  3. DVA Tinnitus Program

What is the Hearing Services Program?

The HSP is an Australian Government funded program, providing support and access to hearing assessments and a range of hearing services to members of the public, based on assessed need. All eligible veterans with an accepted hearing disability have access to devices and services offered at no cost through the HSP, managed by the Department of Health.

Who is eligible?

DVA clients are eligible for the HSP if they are an Australian citizen or permanent resident 21 years or older and a:

  • holder of a DVA Gold Health Card/Veteran Card or
  • holder of a DVA White Health Card/Veteran Card (for hearing loss), or
  • holder of a DVA Pensioner Concession Card, or
  • spouse or dependant (including children) of one of the above categories.

How do I apply?

DVA clients apply directly through the HSP website at Your hearing services provider can also complete the application on your behalf.

Please note, you will need a medical certificate from your medical practitioner/GP to complete your application.

What's next?

On approval of your application, you can visit a hearing service provider for a full hearing assessment, advice, support and the fitting of a hearing device, where needed.

You can find a hearing service provider by:

  1. visiting
  2. selecting Find a Hearing Services Provider
  3. searching for a provider at a location of your choice.

If I need a hearing device what services are available to me?

There is a vast range of high quality devices, including both in-the-ear and behind-the-ear, available free-of-charge to all eligible clients of the HSP, including eligible DVA clients. These devices contain a range of beneficial features and technologies to help manage the impact of your hearing loss. You have a choice from over 160 devices.

If you need a hearing device, your hearing provider should offer you a fully subsidised device that correctly matches your clinical needs and provide a full fitting and training in its use.

If the HSP assesses your needs as complex, there are options available to assist you. Your hearing provider will discuss these options with you.

If you are experiencing chronic or disturbing tinnitus, you will be referred to the DVA Tinnitus Program.

What additional support for hearing loss is available under DVA's Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP)?

The RAP provides options for additional support for DVA clients to access a range of Assistive Listening Devices (ALDs). Eligible DVA clients include members of the veteran community who hold either a Gold Card or a White Card. An ALD is designed to help you hear better in a specific situation (e.g. a headset for watching the television, or a personal amplifier for people who cannot manage hearing aids or do not wish to wear them).

Your hearing service provider will discuss these options with you.

What is the DVA Tinnitus Program?

DVA's Tinnitus Program provides support to eligible veterans experiencing chronic and/or distressing tinnitus.

To assist veterans with tinnitus, the Tinnitus Program can arrange for:

  • a clinical assessment of your tinnitus
  • scientifically validated treatment provided by an audiologist
  • specialised counselling such as tinnitus retraining therapy
  • hearing aids with tinnitus settings
  • devices to assist with sleep

How do I apply to the DVA Tinnitus Program?

For disturbing tinnitus or tinnitus that remains troublesome after your hearing device fitting, ask your hearing provider to request a referral to an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist from your medical practitioner. After a complete investigation, the ENT can present recommendations to DVA regarding a program of tinnitus therapy.

More Information

Hearing Services Program

General Enquiries: 1800 500 726

Telephone typewriter (TTY) users:
1800 500 496



DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 3.1 (8 votes)
17 October 2019