Skip to Content

Factsheet HSV120 - Ambulance Services


This Factsheet covers the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) policy for ambulance services. It includes who is eligible, when DVA pays, and how to arrange this service.

Am I eligible?

If you hold a DVA Health Card — For All Conditions (Gold) or Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (Gold) you are eligible for ambulance services for the treatment of all health conditions, subject to your clinical need.

If you hold a DVA Health Card — For Specific Conditions (White) you are eligible for ambulance services, subject to your clinical need, relating to:

  • treatment of your DVA accepted injury or disease;
  • malignant cancer (neoplasia);
  • pulmonary tuberculosis ;
  • any mental health condition;
  • substance use disorder; or
  • alcohol use disorder.

DVA Health Card–For Specific Conditions, Overseas/allied veterans (White) are also issued to ex-service personnel who are eligible for treatment under agreements between the Australian Government and New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and the United Kingdom governments for disabilities accepted as war-caused by their country of origin.

Will DVA pay for my emergency ambulance transport?

DVA will pay for emergency ambulance transport to the nearest clinical facility which will meet your clinical needs.

How do I arrange emergency ambulance transport?

In a medical emergency, a Local Medical Officer (LMO), you, or someone acting on your behalf, may request an emergency ambulance by dialling 000.

Will DVA pay for my non–emergency ambulance transport?

DVA will pay for non–emergency ambulance transport if you:

  • require transport on a stretcher;
  • require treatment while in the ambulance;
  • are severely disfigured; or
  • are incontinent to a degree that rules out the use of other forms of transport.

The transport must also be to or from the nearest clinical facility that can treat your clinical needs.

How do I arrange non–emergency ambulance transport?

Your LMO, General Practitioner, hospital physician or hospital discharge planner will be able to arrange non–emergency ambulance transport for you.

What happens if I require an ambulance when travelling within Australia?

If you require an ambulance while travelling within Australia, DVA will pay for an ambulance to transport you to the nearest medical facility that can treat your clinical needs. On discharge DVA will pay for the most appropriate form of transport from the hospital or clinical facility to your temporary residence.

As this transport relates to transport from a temporary residence, DVA will not pay for an ambulance from the clinical facility to your permanent home. DVA will also not pay for an ambulance to transfer you to a medical facility closer to your permanent residence.

You may like to consider taking out travel insurance to ensure you have adequate cover for transport costs in such circumstances.

Will DVA pay for ambulance services for non–medical purposes?

No, DVA will not pay for ambulance services for non-medical purposes.

Will DVA pay for ambulance services to facilitate a residential move?

No. This includes assistance for permanent residential relocation. An example would be if you use an ambulance to transport you from one residential aged care facility to another but your assessed care levels have not changed. In this situation the transport is to facilitate a residential move, not to receive a higher level of care.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheet


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA relating to complex or important matters.

Average: 2.3 (3 votes)
20 October 2017