Skip to Content

Factsheet HSV107 - Clients - Rehabilitation Appliances Program


This Factsheet provides information to DVA clients about the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP) including who is eligible, types of aids and appliances available and how to access them.

What is RAP?

RAP provides eligible DVA clients with aids and appliances to be as independent and self-reliant as possible at home and in the community. Aids and appliances through RAP can help minimise the impact of disabilities, illnesses or injuries helping you maximise your quality of life, independence and participation in the community.

Am I eligible?

You are eligible if you are:

  • a Gold Card holder; or
  • a White Card holder (only for conditions accepted by DVA as related to service), including Commonwealth and other allied veterans who hold a White Card; and
  • assessed by a general practitioner (GP) or medical specialist as requiring an aid or appliance to meet a clinical health care need.

What aids and appliances are available under RAP?

Aids and appliances available under RAP are listed in the RAP National Schedule of Equipment (the Schedule).

The items listed on the Schedule include (but are not limited to) the following categories:

  • mobility and functional support;
  • continence;
  • oxygen and continuous positive airways pressure (CPAP);
  • cognitive, dementia and memory assistive technology;
  • personal response systems (PRS);
  • falls prevention;
  • low vision;
  • prostheses;
  • orthoses;
  • hearing appliances;
  • speech pathology appliances;
  • diabetes; and
  • home modifications and household adaptive appliances.

RAP also provides medical grade footwear.  More information about medical grade footwear can be found at DVA Factsheet HSV139 – Information for Veterans on the Medical Grade Footwear Program.

DVA will supply the most cost-effective, safe and clinically appropriate aids and appliances.

Further information about aids and appliances (such as home modifications, PRS, CPAP and oxygen supplies) is available on the RAP web page.

How do I access RAP?

The steps to accessing RAP are:

  1. Talk about your concerns with your GP or medical specialist;
  2. Your GP or medical specialist will identify your clinical need and will either:
    a. undertake the assessment themselves and prescribe suitable aids and appliances through RAP; or
    b. make a referral to an appropriate health professional for an assessment.
  3. If referred to a health professional, they will assess your circumstances and prescribe suitable aids and appliances through RAP.  A health professional may include:
  • occupational therapists;
  • physiotherapists;
  • podiatrists;
  • speech pathologists;
  • prosthetists;
  • orthotists;
  • audiologists;
  • exercise physiologists;
  • optometrists;
  • diabetes clinic;
  • low vision clinic;
  • registered nurses; and
  • medical specialists.

For a complete list of health professionals please refer to the RAP National Schedule of Equipment.

How do I get my prescribed RAP items?

A referral and prescription from your GP, medical specialist or health professional will be sent to an appropriate supplier or DVA to arrange for the item to be issued to you.  

Aids and appliances will generally either be delivered to your home or fitted by the health professional.

If you are eligible, referrals and assessments can be made at any time. This includes the lead up to a hospital admission.

What if the item I am seeking is not on the RAP Schedule?

DVA will consider requests for these items on a case-by-case basis, as one-off requests. If no equivalent items appear on the Schedule, DVA may approve these items in exceptional circumstances. DVA will only consider requests that have been identified by a GP, medical specialist or health professional after an assessment to determine your clinical need.

What happens if the aid or appliance needs repair or replacement?

DVA will cover the cost of repairs and replacements of your aids and appliances if they have been supplied through RAP. This includes if they are lost, damaged by normal wear and tear, or if your needs change. DVA will also replace your aids and appliances at no cost, so that you have the correct devices to meet your needs.

Please contact the supplier or DVA if your aid or appliance needs to be replaced or repaired.

Can I receive aids and appliances from RAP if I live in a Residential Aged Care Facility?

This depends on the level of care that has been identified in your Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI), which is determined by the residential aged care facility. 

If your ACFI score identifies:

  • a higher level of care, the residential aged care facility is required to provide aids and appliances for you; or
  • a lower level of care, DVA may be able to provide aids and appliances based on your clinical need identified by a GP or medical specialist.

Please discuss your need for aids and appliances with the residential aged care facility and they will arrange this for you through their own arrangements or assist you to access RAP. An Aged Care Eligibility Matrix has been developed to aid in this process. The link to this matrix can be found in the More Information section below.

Can I receive aids and appliances from RAP if I am receiving a Home Care Package?

Yes, as long as the RAP aids and appliances supplied do not duplicate the same aids and appliances received through your Home Care Package.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

Aged Care Eligibility Matrix:

Rehabilitation Applicancess Program:

RAP National Schedule of Equipment:

Quality of Care Principles 2014: ACFI Classification

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position, e.g. retirement, on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA relating to complex or important matters.

Average: 2.1 (7 votes)
1 May 2019