Skip to Content

Factsheet HCS05 - Waiver of Co-payments for Veterans' Home Care Services


This Factsheet provides information on the waiver of co-payments for Veterans' Home Care (VHC) services.

What is a co-payment?

A co-payment is your contribution towards the cost of receiving VHC services. A co-payment is also payable for social assistance services offered through the Coordinated Veterans’ Care (CVC) Program

The amount is minimal, however, co-payments may be waived.

How much are the co-payments?

The following co-payments apply for Veterans’ Home Care services:

Service Co-payment per hour Amount payable by the veteran is capped to:
Domestic Assistance $5 per hour Maximum $5 per week
Personal Care $5 per hour Maximum $10 per week
Safety-related Home and Garden Maintenance $5 per hour Maximum $75 in a 12 month period
Respite Care No co-payment applies N/A
CVC Social Assistance $5 per hour Maximum $5 per week

Am I eligible for a co-payment waiver?

You may be eligible for a co-payment waiver if it is determined that you:

  • have one or more dependent children;
  • are receiving the full rate of service pension or the full rate of Centrelink pension or allowance and do not earn an income, including non-pension income and DVA compensation payments (disability pension or war widow/widower pension), of more than $40 a fortnight;
  • are receiving a pension under the DVA pension hardship provisions; or
  • would suffer severe financial hardship if you made the co-payment.

What is a dependent child?

A dependent child for the purpose of a waiver of VHC co-payments, has the same meaning as defined in the Social Security Act 1991 at

A child is considered to be a dependent if they meet the following criteria:

Children under 16 years.

A child under 16 years is considered to be a dependent child if:

  • the person has legal responsibility either alone or jointly with another person for the day to day care, welfare and development of the child is in the person's care; or
  • the child is not a dependent child of someone else and is wholly or substantially in the person's care.

A child under 16 years cannot be considered a dependent child if:

  • they are not a full-time student; and
  • their weekly income from any source is more than $209.20.

Children 16 years or older

A child who has turned 16 years, but is under 22 years, can still be a dependent child of the person if:

  • they are wholly or substantially dependent on the person; and
  • their income in the financial year will not exceed the personal income limit of $11,465.50 per annum; and
  • they are receiving full time education at a school, college or university.

A child over 16 years cannot be considered a dependent child if:

  • they receive a social security pension or benefit such as Youth Allowance; or
  • their personal income is more than $11,465.50 per annum. Income includes earnings from casual, part-time or full-time employment.

How do I apply for the VHC co-payment waiver?

If you are having temporary difficulties in paying the co-payment, please discuss your concerns with:

  • your VHC Service Provider; or
  • the DVA Health Approvals and Home Care team on 1800 555 254.

All applications for a waiver of the co-payments must be made in writing or by completing the form: D0700 for Waiver of VHC Co-payments  and forwarding to:

Health Approvals and Homecare
Department of Veterans’ Affairs
GPO Box 9998

How will the decision to waive your payment be made?

Decisions are made using information provided on the application form or via written request and, if required, information previously provided to DVA in relation to your income and assets.

If you receive a Centrelink income support payment, DVA will need to contact Centrelink for income and asset details. This information is required in considering a request for co-payments to be waived.

If you might be eligible for Centrelink income support payment, but have not applied, you will be asked to complete an application to determine if you are eligible for regular income support payments.

How will I be informed of the outcome of my request for waiver?

All decisions will be put in writing and sent to you including the reason/s for the decision.

If a waiver of the co-payment is approved, DVA will inform the VHC Assessment Agency and the VHC Service Provider/s.

The personal circumstances on which the decision was made will not be disclosed to the VHC Assessment Agency or the VHC Service Provider/s.

Where a co-payment has already been paid for a period after the waiver takes effect, the VHC Service Provider will be required to refund that amount.

What do I do if I am unhappy with DVA's decision not to waive my co-payment?

If you do not agree with the decision, please telephone the DVA Health Approvals and Home Care team on 1800 555 254. Although a decision can be reviewed, the grounds for waivers are not discretionary and are not subject to an appeal process.

I have received a waiver and my financial circumstances change, what should I do?

If your financial circumstances change, you should telephone the DVA Health Approvals and Home Care team on 1800 555 254

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets

Related Forms


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 1 (2 votes)
12 September 2018