Skip to Content

Factsheet DP72 - Attendant Allowance


This Factsheet briefly describes the attendant allowance available to eligible veterans under the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA) and how to claim it. Attendant allowance may be paid to an eligible veteran to assist with the cost of an attendant to help with such things as feeding, washing, dressing and other activities of daily living.

Who is eligible to apply for an attendant allowance?

Attendant allowance is payable at a higher and a lower rate for incapacity from war or defence caused conditions arising from service rendered before 1 July 2004.

The lower rate is payable where a veteran:

  • is blinded in both eyes; or
  • has both legs amputated and one arm amputated; or
  • has both legs amputated at the hip; or
  • has one leg amputated at the hip and the other leg amputated in the upper third; or
  • has an injury or disease affecting the brain and spinal system, or has a condition similar in effect or severity (for example, hemiplegia or paraplegia).

The higher rate is payable where a veteran:

  • is blinded in both eyes together with total loss of speech or total deafness; or
  • has both arms amputated.

For this allowance, a leg, foot, hand or arm that has been rendered permanently and wholly useless is deemed to be amputated.

If your need for attendant care relates to service on or after 1 July 2004 that is covered by the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA); or service prior to 1 July 2004 that is covered by the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA), you should refer to DVA Factsheet MRC41.

Who is the attendant allowance paid to?

The attendant allowance is paid to the veteran (not the attendant).

When is attendant allowance not payable?

Attendant allowance is not payable:

  • if the veteran is cared for fully at public expense in a hospital or institution; or
  • if Centrelink is paying a Carer Payment (formerly Carer's Pension) in relation to the veteran.

However, if Centrelink is paying a Carer Allowance (formerly Domiciliary Nursing Care Benefit) in relation to a veteran, that veteran may still qualify for the attendant allowance.

How do I apply for attendant allowance?

You can apply for attendant allowance by lodging DVA Form D2667 at your nearest DVA office.

This form can also be downloaded from the DVA website.

You may need to have a medical examination; see the application form for details.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets

Related Forms


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 1 (2 votes)
18 January 2019