Skip to Content

Factsheet CON07 - Concessions in the Northern Territory


This Factsheet is about concessions available to DVA clients in the Northern Territory (NT).

Who is eligible for concessions?

The organisation that offers the product or service, e.g. your local council, decides what sort of concession is offered and to whom it is offered.  DVA Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) and Gold Card holders are usually eligible for concessions, but it is important to contact the organisation offering the concession to confirm your eligibility.

Health concessions

Treatment Cards

If you have a DVA treatment card (Gold or White Card) you should always use this card for medical, hospital, pharmaceutical and allied health services.

Pharmaceutical benefits

PCC holders are eligible for medication under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) at $6.40 per prescription.  Your pharmacist can tell you which medicines are listed under the scheme.  Premiums charged by manufacturers may apply to some alternative brands/medicines.  Once you have spent the PBS Safety Net threshold amount on PBS medicines, you will receive free PBS medicines for the rest of the year.

National Diabetes Services Scheme

You can receive a range of Australian Government approved products at a reduced price.  For more information contact the scheme on 1300 136 588 or visit their website at:

Hearing services

The Office of Hearing Services provides vouchers which enable you to get hearing assessments and devices from hearing service providers of your choice.  This includes the cost of fitting the device.  For more information contact the Office of Hearing Services on 1800 500 726 (TTY 1800 500 496) or visit their website at:


St John Ambulance Australia provides emergency and non-emergency ambulance services to the community. PCC holders and members of the NTPCC Scheme are eligible for free emergency ambulance transport.  In an emergency phone 000, otherwise contact St John Ambulance on 1300 ST JOHN (1300 78 5646) or visit their website at

The NT Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme (NTPCCS)

What is the NTPCCS?

The Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme (NTPCCS) provides financial subsidies to eligible members for electricity, water, sewerage, council rates, garbage rates, interstates/overseas travel, spectacles, motor vehicle registration, urban public bus travel and drivers licence renewals.  

To be eligible for the NTPCCS, you must be a permanent resident of the NT and hold one of the following cards:

  • Gold Card embossed with ‘TPI’ or ‘War Widow’;
  • Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Card (Orange Card)
  • Pensioner Concession Card;
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

You must be a member of the NTPCCS to access the concessions available.

To join the NTPCCS, you need to complete a membership form (your spouse or defacto should complete a separate form if eligible) and will be required to provide proof that you reside permanently in the NT.

For more information about the NTPCCS and available concessions, contact the NT Pensioner Concession Unit on 1800 777 704 or contact them by email at or refer to their website at:

Transport Concessions

Public transport

PCC holders are entitled to concession fares on NT public transport.

Travel on the Territory’s urban public bus network is fully subsidised for Gold Card holders.  For more information contact Public Transport on (08) 8924 7666 or visit their website at

Interstate/Overseas Travel

The NTPCC travel concession provides eligible members with a funding of up to $500.00 every two years for domestic or overseas travel by air, bus, rail or boat (or a combination of these), or private vehicle to an interstate or overseas destination.  Eligibility is more stringent than other concessions outlined in this Factsheet.  For more information contact the NT Pensioner Concession Unit on 1800 777 704 or visit their website at

Northern Territory Taxi Subsidy Scheme (NTTSS)

The NTTSS is for people with disabilities, or severe mobility restrictions, who depend on taxis for public transport and provides financial assistance of up to 50 per cent of taxi fares.  For more information contact the Taxi Subsidy Scheme Officer on (08) 8924 7043 or visit the website at

Household Concessions

Australia Post

Australia Post will give discounts on re-directing mail for PCC holders who change their address and deliver some items that aid the sight impaired free of charge, or at a discounted rate, for PCC holders.  For more information contact Australia Post on 13 76 78 or visit their website at a href="">


Telstra offer a number of concessions to PCC holders, including a discount on new telephone service connection fee and a reduction in your home line plan costs.  For more information contact Telstra on 132 200 or visit their website at

Vehicle Concessions

Motor Vehicle GST exemption

Once every 2 years or 40,000 km, eligible veterans are entitled to GST exemption on the purchase of a new car.  GST exemption is also available on spare parts necessary for the running of a motor car.  For more information refer to DVA Factsheet DP79 Supply of Cars and Car Parts GST Free.

NT Seniors Card

Any permanent NT resident 60 years of age or over may be eligible for the NT seniors Card.  The Seniors Card is issued free and provides access to savings on a range of goods and services provided by participating businesses.  For more information contact the Seniors Card Office on 1800 441 489 or visit the Northern Territory Government website at

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet.  Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined.  You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 1 (4 votes)
19 October 2018