Skip to Content

Factsheet CON01 - Concessions in New South Wales


This Factsheet is about what concessions may be available to DVA clients in New South Wales (NSW).

Who is eligible for a concession?

The organisation that offers the product or service — for example, your local council — decides what sort of concession is offered and to whom it is offered (that is, eligibility). DVA Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) and Gold Card holders are usually eligible for concessions, but it is important to contact the organisation offering the concession to confirm your eligibility.

Health concessions

Treatment cards

If you have a DVA treatment card (Gold or White Card) you should always use this card for medical, hospital, pharmaceutical and allied health services.

Pharmaceutical benefits

PCC holders are eligible for medication under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) at $6.40 per prescription. Your pharmacist can tell you which medicines are listed under the scheme. Premiums charged by manufacturers may apply to some alternative brands/medicines. Once you have spent the PBS Safety Net threshold amount on PBS medicines, you will receive free PBS medicines for the rest of the year. For more information, please visit the Department of Human Services information on the PBS.

National Diabetes Services Scheme

You can receive a range of Australian Government approved products at a reduced price. For more information contact the scheme on 1300 136 588 or visit National Diabetes Services Scheme.

Hearing services

The Office of Hearing Services provides vouchers which enable you to get hearing assessments and devices from hearing service providers of your choice. This includes the cost of fitting the device. For more information contact the Office of Hearing Services on 1800 500 726 (TTY 1800 500 496) or visit Hearing Services Program.


All PCC, Gold Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) holders receive free ambulance transport in an emergency.

For more information visit Ambulance Service of NSW.


The NSW Spectacles Program funds free glasses and optical aids to financially disadvantaged residents of NSW. The program is available to people who meet the eligibility criteria and receive a full income support payment.

For more information, please contact Vision Australia on 1300 847 466 or visit NSW Spectacles Program.


Sydney Dental Hospital (SDH) and Oral Health Services (OHS) provide public and oral health services to eligible PCC and CSHC holders. For more information, please contact the Central Oral Health information and intake service on (02) 9293 333 or visit Oral Health.

Transport concessions

The NSW Government provides subsidised or concession travel to a wide range of people, including specific concessions and passes for War Widows/Widowers and former Defence members.

For more information about any of the following public transport concessions, visit Ticket eligibility — concessions.

Concessions for PCC holders

NSW and ACT PCC holders are eligible for public transport concessions in NSW.

For more information, please visit Ticket eligibility — pensioners.

Ex-members of the Defence Force Pass

Veterans who receive a disability pension and live permanently in NSW may be eligible for an Ex-members of the Defence Force pass. This pass is also available to certain Commonwealth and Allied WW2 veterans who live permanently in NSW. The pass entitles the holder to free travel on public transport in NSW.

For more information visit Ex-members of Defence Force with a disability.

NSW War Widows'/Widowers' Concession Card

War Widows/Widowers may be eligible for the NSW War Widows/Widowers Concession Card. This card entitles the holder to concession travel on public transport in NSW.

For more information, visit Ticket eligibility — veteran.

Blinded Soldiers Gold Pass

The Blinded Soldiers Gold Pass entitles the holder to free travel on public transport in NSW.

For more information, visit Ticket eligibility — veteran — NSW Blinded Soldier Pass.

Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal Card

NSW PCC holders, TPI/EDA and War Widow/Widowers pensioners are eligible for the Gold Senior/ Pensioner Opal Card. This card entitles the holder to use public transport services across Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands capped at $2.50 a day.

For more information, contact Opal Customer Care on 13 67 25 or visit

Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme

The Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme (TTSS) provides subsidised taxi transport to residents of NSW who are unable to use public transport because of a qualifying severe and permanent disability. Strict eligibility criteria must be met.

For more information, contact the Transport for NSW on 1800 623 724 or visit Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme.

Note: For taxi travel relating to the treatment of accepted disabilities you should use your DVA treatment card (Gold card or White card).

For more information refer to DVA Factsheet HSV02 Entitlements under the Repatriation Transport Scheme.

Free Travel for Companions

The NSW Companion card is valid on most public transport in NSW and provides free travel for an attendant when accompanying the Companion Card holder. The Companion Card holder will pay their normal fare, which will depend on their concession status.

For more information visit: Free travel for companions.

Household concessions

Australia Post

Australia Post offers a 40% discount on postage stamps, discounts on re-directing mail and deliver some items that aid the sight of people with a vision impairment free of charge, or at a discounted rate, for Gold, White and Orange card holders.

For more information, contact Australia Post on 131 318 or visit Australia Post.


Telstra offer a number of concessions to PCC holders, including a discount on new telephone service connection fee and a reduction in your home line plan costs. For more information contact Telstra on 132 200 or visit Telstra Pensioner Discount.

Water, sewerage and storm water rebates

The Sydney Water Corporation and the Hunter Water Corporation offer concessions to eligible pensioners. These concessions are offered to:

  • PCC holders
  • holders of a Gold Card embossed with 'war widow/er' 'TPI', 'EDA' or 'Intermediate Rate'
  • veterans receiving disability pension at the Temporarily Totally Incapacitated (TTI) rate.

For more information, contact:


Local councils provide rebates on rates to eligible pensioners.

For more information contact your local council.

Low Income (Energy) Rebate

The NSW Government provides an energy rebate for people on low incomes. This rebate is paid by the electricity supplier and will be shown on your bill.

For more information, contact your electricity supplier.

Life Support Electricity Rebate

If you need life supporting medical equipment, you may be eligible for a rebate from your electricity supplier. The amount of the rebate depends upon the type of machine you require. The rebate is a flat rate for each type of machine.

For more information contact, your electricity supplier.

Vehicle Concessions

Roads and Maritime Services concessions

Eligible pensioners may be eligible for fee exemptions or concessions on a wide range of products and services from the Roads and Maritime Services, such as NSW Driver Licences, driving tests, registration, motor vehicle tax, transfer fees and stamp duty on motor vehicles and Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) permits.

For further details of exemptions and concessions, and the relevant eligibility criteria, contact the Roads and Maritime Services on 132 213 or visit Roads and Maritime Services.

Motor Vehicle GST exemption

Once every 2 years or 40,000 km, eligible veterans are entitled to GST exemption on the purchase of a new car. GST exemption is also available on spare parts necessary for the running of a motor car.

For more information refer to DVA Factsheet DP79 Supply of Cars and Car Parts GST Free.

Other concessions

NSW Seniors Card

The NSW Seniors Card is issued free and provides access to savings on a range of goods and services provided by participating businesses.

For more information visit NSW Seniors Card.

NSW Photo Card

The NSW Photo Card is a voluntary card for people who do not hold other forms of identification, such as a driver licence. The card can help you access services that require identification.

For more information contact the Roads and Maritime Services on 132 213 or visit Licence or NSW photo card.

Recreational Fishing Licence

The NSW Government offer concessions on the Recreational Fishing Fee, to eligible pensioners. These concessions are offered to:

  • PCC holders
  • holders of a Gold Card embossed with 'TPI' or 'EDA' or
  • on providing a letter from the Department of Veterans' Affairs stating that you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher, or an intermediate pension.

For more information, visit Apply for a recreational fishing licence.

More information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 3.4 (12 votes)
7 August 2019