This forum is intended to:
- assist in identifying priority emerging issues for veterans across the age and conflict spectrum particularly in the areas of mental and social health
- assist in identifying emerging issues for veterans’ families and support networks
- identify and analyse trends across veteran cohorts and geography and raise awareness of these increasing and common issues with subject-matter experts from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) and other state or Commonwealth government departments and agencies as appropriate
- assist in identifying opportunities for increased engagement with younger veterans who are geographically dislocated or not affiliated with ex-service organisations (ESOs) through the appropriate media and internet technology
- enhance the ex-service community’s understanding of DVA’s service delivery performance through information sharing and improved communication between DVA and the ex-service community
- identify and provide recommendations for improvements in DVA’s operational policy to promote quality and accountability in service delivery.
|Department of Veterans' Affairs - Chair||Major General M.A. Kelly AO DSC|
|Australian Peacekeepers & Peacemakers Veterans Association (APPVA)||Mr John McNeill|
|Australian Special Air Service Association (ASASA)||Wing Commander Peter Larter
Warrant Officer Class 2 Craig McGrath
|Defence Force Welfare Association (DFWA)||Lieutenant Fiona Simmonds RAN|
|Defence Families Australia (DFA)||Ms Maree Sirois|
|Legacy Australia Inc.||Ms Melissa Bingley|
|Mate4Mates||Mr Simon Sauer AM CSC|
|Member||Ms Danielle Kitchen|
|Naval Association of Australia||Lieutenant Commander Mark Fullick RAN|
|Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL)||Ms Anne Pahl|
|Royal Australian Regiment Association (RARA)||Mr Craig Hansen|
|Royal Australian Air Force Association (RAAFA)||Wing Commander Charles Hill|
|Soldier On||Mr John Bale|
|Support for Wounded Injured or Ill Program (SWIIP), Department of Defence||Commodore Paul Kinghorne RANR|
|The Warrior's Return||Ms Loretta Somerville|
Departmental representation will be available as appropriate.
The forum has the flexibility to invite additional participants relevant to the areas of focus or specific agenda items (including service specific and non-ESO aligned).
The YVF meets in person three times per year. The meetings are chaired by Major General Mark Kelly, the Repatriation Commisioner.
A summary of each forum meeting is available.
- 23 March 2016 Younger Veterans - Contemporary Needs Forum
- 18 November 2015 Younger Veterans - Contemporary Needs Forum
- 22 July 2015 Younger Veterans - Contemporary Needs Forum
- 12 March 2015 Younger Veterans - Contemporary Needs Forum
- 5 November 2014 Younger Veterans - Contemporary Needs Forum
- 23 July 2014 Younger Veterans - Contemporary Needs Forum
- 16 April 2014 Younger Veterans - Contemporary Needs Forum
To contact the Secretariat of the YVF: