Lutwyche War Cemetery & Crematorium Memorial
Being situated on the Brisbane River, navigable by large vessels for over ten miles from Moreton Bay to the city and with graving docks capable of accommodating destroyers and fuelling facilities, Brisbane became a naval base during WW2. Upon the entry of Japan into the war, fixed defences were provided and manned, and American detachments arrived and established themselves there. In July 1942, General Douglas MacArthur, the American Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces, South-West Pacific area, moved his headquarters from Melbourne to Brisbane to be nearer the scene of operations in Papua and New Guinea.
The Lutwyche War Cemetery is situated within the Lutwyche Cemetery, in Gympie Road, Kedron, Brisbane. The Lutwyche Cemetery has 397 war burials, with the war cemetery containing 347 of those burials. The majority of burials in the war cemetery are sailors, soldiers and airmen of the Australian Forces.
Lutwyche War Cemetery
Corner Gympie and Kitchener Roads
KEDRON QLD 4031
Atherton War Cemetery
Located on corner of the Kennedy Highway and Rockley Road (access to the cemetery on Rockley Road only), the war cemetery adjoins the Atherton General Cemetery. The graves are in three plots, with a Cross of Sacrifice standing centrally at the far end. The area between Atherton and Cairns was used extensively as a training ground during the war for Australian troops involved in action in New Guinea, Bougainville and later landings at Aitape-Wewak, Tarakan, Labuan and Balikpapan. Australia's 6th, 7th and 9th Divisions were based in the Atherton region and from here the RAAF struck at the Japanese pressing down from the north and north-west. There are 151 soldiers and 12 airmen of the Australian Forces, plus one member of the Young Men's Christian Association buried within the war cemetery.
Bundaberg War Cemetery
Located within the Bundaberg General Cemetery in Takalvan Street, the cemetery contains 46 graves of soldiers and airmen of the Australian Forces and five airmen of the United States Army Air Corps. The No 12 Elementary Flying School and No 8 Service Flying Training School of the RAAF was located at Bundaberg during WW2.
Cairns War Cemetery
Located within the Cairns Cemetery, Martyn Street, Cairns, the war cemetery contains the graves of 70 soldiers, 17 airmen and 10 sailors of the Australian Forces and one Dutch sailor. After the first Japanese raid on Darwin on 19 February 1942, a shuttle service of small merchant ships between Cairns and Darwin was introduced. Cairns was also an important air base from which Nos 11 and 20 Catalina General Reconnaissance Bomber Squadrons operated. There are 136 war graves throughout the entire cemetery.
Charters Towers War Cemetery
During WW2, the area around Charters Towers accommodated a number of army and RAAF units. Army troops were trained at Selheim, including the 11th Infantry Brigade. After the Japanese entered the war in 1941 Selheim became a reinforcement depot and troops from the Jungle Training Centre at Canungra were staged through to the Atherton Tablelands and New Guinea. It was also the site for a supply depot and ammunition company, as well as an ordnance depot and army workshop. The 116th Australian General Hospital was in Charters Towers, with a convalescent depot at Selheim.
At Macrossin, a United States Air Force School trained RAAF crews on Liberator bombers. The RAAF operated a base at Bedden from 1943-1947 after the US 38th Bombardment Group moved north.
Situated within the Charters Towers Cemetery on Dalrymple Road, the war cemetery contains the graves of 16 soldiers and 15 airmen of the Australian Forces. Four soldiers are buried in the civil cemetery.
Ipswich War Cemetery
Located within Ipswich General Cemetery, on the corner of Cemetery and Warwick Roads, the triangular plot, containing 68 burials, is delineated on two sides by shrubs. A Cross of Sacrifice stands in one of the triangular points. There are 100 within the entire cemetery.
During WW2, a number of Australian units were stationed in the Brisbane-Ipswich area to reinforce the defences of this important seaport. Many of the casualties resulted from air training accidents at the No 6 Aircraft Depot at Oakey and the Air Base at Amberley.
Rockhampton War Cemetery
The cemetery is located within the Rockhampton Cemetery, situated on the Bruce Highway. The plot was acquired by the Army in 1943 and contains 35 graves, comprised of one airman of the Royal Air Force, 20 soldiers and 12 airmen of the Australian Forces, one Salvation Army member and one Young Men's Christian Association member.
During WW2, Rockhampton was host to a number of Allied Forces. Australian troops were stationed in the Rockhampton-Maryborough area in 1941; in 1942 the 41st American Division moved from Melbourne prior to operations in the Solomons, and in November 1942 the Commander of the 1st American Corps had his headquarters there.
Toowoomba War Cemetery
Toowoomba was the headquarters of the 1st Australian Army during WW2. It was conveniently placed for the establishment of Army and Air Force camps and was often used as a retraining facility for Servicemen being sent to the Pacific Islands. The war cemetery is situated within the Toowoomba Cemetery on the corner of Anzac Avenue and South Street West. Centrally located among the 44 graves is a Cross of Sacrifice. The burials are those of 34 soldiers, nine airmen and one post-war grave. There are 62 war graves throughout the entire cemetery.
Townsville War Cemetery
The Townsville War Cemetery is situated within the Townsville Belgian Gardens Cemetery, containing 222 war graves. The burials consist of one sailor and one soldier of the UK Forces and nine sailors, 105 soldiers and 106 airmen of the Australian Forces. During the war, Townsville was a RAAF Base and a base for the new American heavy bombers was constructed there. In 1941 it also became the base of an Area Combined Headquarters, established to ensure naval and air cooperation in trade defence in north-eastern Australia. It was one of the ports of embarkation for troops to New Guinea and the islands, and many transit camps and a Base Hospital for troops, evacuated through sickness and wounds from New Guinea, were in the vicinity.
Charters Towers War Cemetery, 1957.
Townsville War Cemetery
BELGIAN GARDENS QLD 4810