DVA preserves the history of Australia’s war service through a range of activities designed to commemorate and honour our service men and women and ensure a continuing legacy.
Researching the history of Australia’s war service
An extensive range of personal stories, historical information and educational resources have been brought together within the Anzac Portal website. This website is a free, dedicated resource for all Australians wishing to learn more about Australia’s experience of war.
Finding commemorative publications
Commemorative publications, as well as education kits for school teachers and students, are available through the DVA ANZAC Portal. The portal includes digital publications about:
- Australians during the First World War
- Australians during the Second World War
- How to care for wartime memorabilia
DVA also has a range of commemorative publications avaialble on the Commemorations, memorials and war graves publications page on the DVA web site.
DVA has also published books about a range of conflicts in which Australians have participated, such as Korea and Vietnam. Other series include Australians in the Pacific War, Australians on the Western Front, Australians in World War I and Australians in World War II.
Selected publications are available through the Australian War Memorial shop in Canberra and the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne. A range of online resources there may also help you find more information.
DVA has also commemorated specific campaigns through a number of commemorative websites, which can all be accessed through Commemoration: Australia's Wartime Heritage:
- The Thai-Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass
- Australia's involvement in the Korean War
- Australia's involvement in South East Asian conflicts
- The Kokoda Track
- Australians at War
- Australians on the Western Front 1914-18
- Australia and the Vietnam War
- Australians at War Film Archive
- Gallipoli and the Anzacs
- Australia's War 1939-45
- The Nominal Roll of Australian World War Two Veterans
- The Nominal Roll of Australian Korean War Veterans
- The Nominal Roll of Australian Vietnam War Veterans
- Operation CLICK: Anzac to Kokoda