Under the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA), veterans and war widows/ers who travel for approved medical treatment may be eligible for reimbursement of certain expenses incurred. Reimbursement may also be made for travel in connection with a claim for a disability pension or service pension.

Assistance can include reimbursement of travel expenses, accommodation allowance, meals allowance and authorised attendants expenses.

See Factsheet:


Under the Military Rehabilitation & Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) and the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRCA), reasonable travel expenses can be reimbursed where a claimant travels for treatment of a condition for which liability has been accepted. There is no form to be completed but all claims should be made in writing to the DVA office responsible for administering the claim.

You can claim reimbursement for the cost of travel if:

  • the journey exceeds 50km return journey when travelling by private vehicle or
  • any length of journey by public transport or ambulance where the accepted condition required the use of this form of transport.

If appropriate treatment is available closer then 50 km return journey distance, then reimbursement cannot be paid for any travel costs incurred when travelling by private vehicle.

Travel by private vehicle is reimbursed based on a set rate per kilometre travelled.