Western Australia (WA)


Detailed information on concessions available to Western Australian residents can be found in Factsheet:

Pensioner Concession Card holders

The Australian Government issues, through DVA, a Pensioner Concession Card to eligible persons on service pensions, age pensions, and income support supplement. Holders are eligible for a range of Australian Government concessions including the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the National Diabetes Services Scheme, benefits through the Office of Hearing Services, and some discounts on Great Southern Railway services, Telstra and Australia Post services. 

PCC holders in WA are also eligible for an annual free trip on TransWA trains; those living above the 26th parallel may be eligible for an additional trip to the South West by air or bus; PCC holders are also eligible for a return journey between Perth and Meektharra on Greyhound or Pioneer coaches; a concession may be available for the carer of a PCC holder with severe disabilities when travelling on WestRail; other concessions may be available on intertown and metropolitan train and bus services. Discounts may be available on motor vehicle registration and drivers' licenses; taxi subsidies for PCC holders with severe disabilities may be available; discounts, subsidies and other assistance may be available on rates, utilities and housing expenses, subject to conditions. Rebates on ambulance cover, dental care, eye examinations and spectacles may be available, and the patient contribution under the Patients Assisted Travel Scheme for isoloated residients may be waived.

Special Rate veterans

Special Rate (formerly Totally and Permanently Incapacitated) Veterans are eligible for State, Federal and private company concessions on the basis of a number of schemes. Many concessions may be claimed if the veteran holds a Pensioner Concession Card or Seniors Card; others may be claimed on the basis of a DVA Gold card; others require proof of T&PI status.

T&PI veterans in WA may be eligible for: limited free travel on the Great Southern Railway; discounts and special arrangements when travelling by air, if blind; limited free travel on Transwa services; limited free trips by air or bus service from the north-west to Perth, if living above the 26th parallel; concessions for carers when travelling by Westrail; concessions on interstate travel; disabled parking permits; exemptions from drivers' license fees, and GST and stamp duty on the purchase of private vehicles; free travel on Transperth services; taxi user subsidies, subject to conditions; and concessions on council rates, energy and certain housing costs. These entitlements may be subject to conditions or assessments of disability in addition to T&PI status.

War widow(er)s

War widow(er)s in WA may be eligible for various concessions if they hold a PCC or a WA Seniors Card, or by showing their DVA Gold Card. War widow(er)s of WWI veterans are eligible for limited free travel on the Great Southern Railway. Other transport concessions on air, rail, interstate and long-distance travel may be available to war
widow(er)s; allowances and concessions on household costs such as energy and telephone costs may also be available.

What if I hold several concession cards?

Many veterans will hold more than one concession card. For example, a war widow is entitled to a Gold Card from DVA, and may also hold a Pensioner Concession Card and a Seniors Card.

For health services, veterans and widow(er)s should use their Gold Card if they have one. If the veteran or widow(er) holds a White Card they should use it for their accepted disability, and their PCC for other medical needs. If the veteran or widow(er) lives in a state which provides free ambulance transport to Pensioner Concession Card holders, and the veteran or widow(er) holds a PCC, they should use that card when travelling by ambulance or when they receive the bill.

For all other services, the veteran should consult the service provider about entitlements for different cards. Often the concessions will be the same, but sometimes they differ. Many small businesses only accept the state Seniors Card, so it may be in your interest to apply for one.