Tasmania (Tas)


Detailed information on concessions for Tasmanian residents can be found in the Factsheet:

Pensioner Concession Card holders

The Australian Government issues, through DVA, a Pensioner Concession Card to eligible persons on service pensions, age pensions, and income support supplement. Holders are eligible for a range of Australian Government concessions including the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the National Diabetes Services Scheme, benefits through the Office of Hearing Services, and some discounts on Great Southern Railway services, Telstra and Australia Post services.

PCC card holders in Tasmania are eligible for concessions on Metro Buses and many private bus services, and on the Bruny Island Ferry and the 'Spirit of Tasmania' ferry service. Many local councils offer rates rebates and land tax exemptions; Aurora Energy offers a rebate on electricity bills; the State government offers  a means-tested heating allowance, and discounts on vehicle registration and standard drivers' licences. PCC holders also receive discount entry to many National Parks and other recreational discounts.

Special Rate veterans

Special Rate (formerly Totally and Permanently Incapacitated) Veterans are eligible for State, Federal and private company concessions on the basis of a number of schemes. Many concessions may be claimed if the veteran holds a Pensioner Concession Card or Seniors Card; others may be claimed on the basis of a DVA Gold card; others require proof of T&PI status.

T&PI veterans and their carers living in Tasmania are eligible for limited free transport on the Great Southern Railway; discounts on the "Spirit of Tasmania" ferry; discounts on Hobart Coaches services; concessions on rates, car registration and drivers' licences; and GST and stamp duty exemption on the purchase of private vehicles.

War widow(er)s

War widow(er)s in Tasmania may be eligible for concessions using a number of cards, such as the Pensioner Concession Card or the Tasmanian Seniors Card, as well as the DVA Gold Card. War widow(er)s of WWI veterans are eligible for limited free travel on the Great Southern Railway; many private coach companies offer discounts; local councils may offer rates rebates; the State Revenue Office offers a land tax exemption; Aurora Energy offers a rebate on electricity bills; the State Government offers discounted motor vehicle registration and drivers' licenses.

What if I hold several concession cards?

Many veterans will hold more than one concession card. For example, a war widow is entitled to a Gold Card from DVA, and may also hold a Pensioner Concession Card and a Seniors Card.

For health services, veterans and widow(er)s should use their Gold Card if they have one. If the veteran or widow(er) holds a White Card they should use it for their accepted disability, and their PCC for other medical needs. If the veteran or widow(er) lives in a state which provides free ambulance transport to Pensioner Concession Card holders, and the veteran or widow(er) holds a PCC, they should use that card when travelling by ambulance or when they receive the bill.

For all other services, the veteran should consult the service provider about entitlements for different cards. Often the concessions will be the same, but sometimes they differ. Many small businesses only accept the state Seniors Card, so it may be in your interest to apply for one.