Queensland (Qld)

Detailed information on concessions for Queensland residents can be found in Factsheet:

Pensioner Concession Card holders

The Australian Government issues, through DVA, a Pensioner Concession Card to eligible persons on service pensions, age pensions, and income support supplement. Holders are eligible for a range of Australian Government concessions including the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the National Diabetes Services Scheme, benefits through the Office of Hearing Services, and some discounts on Great Southern Railway services, Telstra and Australia Post services.

The Queensland Government offers PCC holders who live in Queensland limited free travel on Traveltrain services; discounts on railway travel; reduced fares on many public bus services within the Greater Brisbane Area; and rebates on rates and fire levies. The Brisbane City Council also offers additional rebates on rates for service pensioners (other local councils may also offer rebates). Discounts may also be available on electricity, motor vehicle registration, and coach transport provided by private companies. Veterans who require ambulance transport in Queensland should use their PCC to claim free transport, even if they hold a Gold Card.

Special Rate veterans

Special Rate veterans (formerly Totally and Permanently Incapacitated, or T&PI) are eligible for disability pension concesssions in Queensland. They may also be eligible for concessions using a Pensioner Concession Card, a QLD Seniors card, or the DVA Gold Card. Special rate veterans may be eligible for discount on vehicle registration duty and GST on vehicle purchases, depending on the nature of their disability. In addition to the transport concessions available to pensioners, Special Rate veterans receive two free return trips on Citytrain each week and one free return trip on Traveltrain per fortnight. Concessions are available for the dependants of Special Rate veterans, as are other concessions for Special Rate veterans, dependent on the type of disability or the location of the veterans' residence. The Queensland government also provides a taxi subsidy for persons with severe disabilities, a rebate on rates, and discounts on electricity in some cases.

War widow(er)s

War widow(er)s may be eligible for concessions using a range of cards, such as the Pensioner Concession Card, the QLD Seniors Card, and the DVA Gold Card. In addition, war widow(er)s of WWI veterans are eligible for the Special Veteran travel concession on the Great Southern Railway; all war widows living in Queensland receive four free Traveltrain economy journeys each year; concessions may also be available on car and boat registration, electricity, and rates.

For further information, please consult the Factsheet Concessions for war widow(er)s (SOI24).

What if I hold several concession cards?

Many veterans will hold more than one concession card. For example, a war widow is entitled to a Gold Card from DVA, and may also hold a Pensioner Concession Card and a Seniors Card.

For health services, veterans and widow(er)s should use their Gold Card if they have one. If the veteran or widow(er) holds a White Card they should use it for their accepted disability, and their PCC for other medical needs. If the veteran or widow(er) lives in a state which provides free ambulance transport to Pensioner Concession Card holders, and the veteran or widow(er) holds a PCC, they should use that card when travelling by ambulance or when they receive the bill.

For all other services, the veteran should consult the service provider about entitlements for different cards. Often the concessions will be the same, but sometimes they differ. Many small businesses only accept the state Seniors Card, so it may be in your interest to apply for one. Information is available on the factsheets about how to apply for a Seniors Card in each state.