The Schoolkids Bonus assists families and students with the education costs of primary and secondary school studies.
Families with children in primary and/or secondary school studies and/or students in primary or secondary school studies who are under 20 years of age 1 and receive an education allowance under the following schemes are eligible for the Schoolkids Bonus:
- Veterans' Children Education Scheme (VCES);
- Military, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (MRCAETS).
There is no means test applied to DVA clients eligible for those schemes or the Schoolkids Bonus.
Centrelink also pays the Schoolkids Bonus to families with school children in receipt of Family Tax Benefit Part A and other income support payments. For information about the Schoolkids Bonus paid to DHS customers (including a means test), please visit the Department of Human Services website.
When is the Schoolkids Bonus paid?
Eligible families and/or students receive the Schoolkids Bonus automatically in January and July each year. This is paid into the same account that the education allowance is paid. No claim is required.
The Schoolkids Bonus will continue until December 2016, the last instalment will be paid in July 2016.
For the Schoolkids Bonus rates, please see the complete list of payment rates.
If you share the care of your child and receive a percentage of Family Tax Benefit Part A (FTB A), you will receive the same percentage of the Schoolkids Bonus. This may differ to the proportions that you receive of VCES or MRCAETS.
Students who have completed Year 12
A final instalment of Schoolkids Bonus may be available for students who have completed their secondary studies.
To receive a final instalment of the Schoolkids Bonus, families or students need to:
- notify DVA of the date you or your child expects to complete Year 12 within 28 days of the completion date; or
- notify DVA that they have completed Year 12 (or equivalent) within 13 weeks from 1 January or 30 June (whichever is closest to the completion date).
See more information about the Schoolkids Bonus.
Please also see the DVA Factsheet MRC48 Schookids Bonus
- Students aged 19, must have turned 19 in the relevant calendar year. In order to receive the final instalment of Schoolkids Bonus for the 1 January eligibility day a student may be aged 20, but must have turned 20 on that eligibility day.