The Schoolkids Bonus assists families and students with the education costs of primary and secondary school studies.
Important update about the Schoolkids Bonus
The Australian Government has committed to abolishing the Schoolkids Bonus. Legislation to abolish the Schoolkids Bonus was introduced into Parliament on 13 November. If the Minerals Resource Rent Tax Repeal and Other Measures Bill 2013 is passed before the end of this year, the Schoolkids Bonus will not be paid from January 2014.
Eligibility and Payment Rates
Families with children in primary and/or secondary school studies and/or students in primary or secondary school studies who are under 20 years of age1 and receive an education allowance under the following schemes are eligible for the Schoolkids Bonus:
- Veterans' Children Education Scheme (VCES)
- Military, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (MRCAETS)
Centrelink also pays the Schoolkids Bonus to families with school children in receipt of Family Tax Benefit Part A and other income support payments.
Eligible families and/or students will receive the Schoolkids Bonus in:
- two instalments of $205 paid in January and July for each child in primary school – a total of $410 each year2
- two instalments of $410 paid in January and July for each child in secondary school – a total of $820 each year2
If you share the care of your child and receive a percentage of Family Tax Benefit A (FTB A), you will receive the same percentage of the Schoolkids Bonus. This may differ to the proportions that you received of VCES or MRCAETS.
How you will be paid the Schoolkids Bonus
The Schoolkids Bonus is automatically paid by DVA to eligible families or students receiving an education allowance into the same account that the education allowance is paid.
No claim is required.
Students who have completed Year 12
A final instalment of Schoolkids Bonus may be available for students who have completed their secondary studies
To receive a final instalment of the Schoolkids Bonus, families or students need to:
- notify DVA of the date you or your child expects to complete Year 12 within 28 days of the completion date or
- notify DVA that they have completed Year 12 (or equivalent) within 13 weeks from 1 January or 30 June (whichever is closest to the completion date)
See more information about the Schoolkids Bonus.
- Students aged 19, must have turned 19 in the relevant calendar year. In order to receive the final instalment of Schoolkids Bonus for the 1 January eligibility day a student may be aged 20, but must have turned 20 on that eligibility day.
- Payment rates are current as at 30 June 2013. Please see Factsheet MRC48 Schoolkids Bonus HTML version for up-to-date payment rates.