Skip to Content


You may be eligible for compensation payments if you have sustained physical or psychological impairment or incapacity related to your defence service. You may also be eligible for compensation payments if you are the dependant of a current or former ADF member who has died as a result of their defence service.

Compensation paid for service-related injury, disease or death may include:

  • Disability pension
  • Permanent impairment payment
  • Incapacity payments
  • War widow(er)'s pension
  • Wholly dependent partner payment
  • Eligible Young Person payment
  • Orphan's pension
  • Prisoner of War payments.

The type of payment and the amount payable depends on the period of service when your injury (or, in the case of dependents, the serving member's death) was sustained. You may be covered under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA), the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA) and/or the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA).

The Prisoner of War Recognition Supplement is a measure that provides special recognition of former surviving Australian prisoners of war (POWs), both veteran and civilian, for severe hardships and deprivations they experienced. It will apply to all surviving former Australian POWs from World War 2 and the Korean War. An ex-gratia payment is also available.

A disability pension under the VEA may be affected by the payment of compensation from another source. Compensation Offsetting is the reduction of a relevant VEA compensation payment where another compensation payment has been received for the same incapacity or death.

How to make a claim

Claims can be lodged either online via MyService or by downloading claim forms from the forms section of this website.

You can also write to us at

Department of Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 9998
Brisbane Qld 4001

Claims for pensions or benefits are considered by DVA on a case by case basis using evidence of your service and medical history.

For information on other compensation payments see the following factsheets:

For more information on your obligations as they relate to incapacity payments please see information sheet:

Do you need financial support while you compensation claim is determined?

Veteran Payment provides interim income support for persons who have lodged a claim for a mental health condition under either the Military, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 or the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988, are under age pension age and are incapable of working for more than eight hours per week. The Veteran Payment is subject to income and asset limits similar to that of Service Pension and Age Pension.

Partners are also eligible for Veteran Payment whilst the veteran is receiving the payment.

Rent Assistance is payable to support veterans who rent their accommodation, subject to minimum rent limits.

Average: 2.6 (43 votes)