How to obtain an assessment for RAP aids or appliances

The Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP) assists with the health care needs of the veteran community by providing mobility aids or appliances best suited to their current assessed clinical need. Aids and equipment should be designed for persons with an illness or disability, and not widely used by persons without an illness or disability.  RAP is unable to provide equipment as replacement for old or worn household furniture or appliances, seating, beds or mattresses.

A few examples of aids or appliances that can be prescribed within the program include: wheeled walkers, beds (hospital) , chairs (high back, lift), lifting hoists and showering or toileting aids.

Some aids or appliances can be prescribed by a suitably qualified allied health professional without seeking DVA approval.  Examples of allied health professionals include, Occupational Therapists (OT),  Physiotherapists, or Speech Pathologists (Speech Therapist).

Your Local Medical Officer (GP) can provide the necessary referral (D904) to the most appropriate allied health professional who can assess your current clinical need for RAP aids and appliances, offer advice and make requests in writing to DVA.
For further information about RAP please call 133 254 (metro) or 1800 555 254 (country).