New South Wales (NSW)

Detailed information on concessions for NSW residents can be found in the Factsheet

Pensioner Concession Cards

The Australian Government issues, through DVA, a Pensioner Concession Card to eligible persons on service pensions, age pensions, and income support supplement. Holders are eligible for a range of Australian Government concessions including the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the National Diabetes Services Scheme, benefits through the Office of Hearing Services, and some discounts on Great Southern Railway services, Telstra and Australia Post services.

The NSW government also provides to pensioners in NSW: limited free travel on Countrylink services; concessions on public transport and most private bus companies; some concessions on vehicle registration and third party insurance; free ambulance travel on presentation of the PCC; and concessions on spectacles in many areas. Pensioners may also be eligible for concessions from private companies such as bus and coach companies and electricity providers, and from their local councils.

Special Rate veterans

Special Rate (formerly Totally and Permanently Incapacitated) Veterans are eligible for State, Federal and private company concessions on the basis of a number of schemes. Many concessions may be claimed if the veteran holds a Pensioner Concession Card or Seniors Card; others may be claimed on the basis of a DVA Gold card; others require proof of T&PI status.

T&PI veterans may be eligible for free transport on Cityrail or local public transport services; Rail Corp offers limited free travel and the Great Southern Railway offers concessions to T&PI veterans and their carers. T&PI veterans may also be eligible for concessions through private bus and coach companies; exemptions on Sydney Harbour Bridge and Tunnel tolls; exemption from GST and stamp duty on the purchase of private vehicles; and free driver's licenses and motor vehicle registration.

War widow(er)s

War widow(er)s in NSW may be eligible for a range of concessions, if they hold a Pensioner Concession Card, a NSW Seniors Card, or a DVA Gold Card. Transport Concession cards are issued through DVA to all war widow(er)s not receiving an income support supplement. This card entitles war widow(er)s to discount tickets on state public transport and many private bus companies. Discounts and limited free travel are available on Countrylink and the Great Southern Railway. Rebates on water, rates, electricity and sewerage may be provided by local councils or third-party companies.

What if I hold several concession cards?

Many veterans will hold more than one concession card. For example, a war widow is entitled to a Gold Card from DVA, and may also hold a Pensioner Concession Card and a Seniors Card.

For health services, veterans and widow(er)s should use their Gold Card if they have one. If the veteran or widow(er) holds a White Card they should use it for their accepted disability, and their PCC for other medical needs. If the veteran or widow(er) lives in a state which provides free ambulance transport to Pensioner Concession Card holders, and the veteran or widow(er) holds a PCC, they should use that card when travelling by ambulance or when they receive the bill.

For all other services, the veteran should consult the service provider about entitlements for different cards. Often the concessions will be the same, but sometimes they differ. Many small businesses only accept the state Seniors Card, so it may be in your interest to apply for one. Information is available on the factsheets about how to apply for a Seniors Card in each state.